4.30.2007

Non-book Meme


I have been tagged by Camille with a meme:
I now propose a new tag: Things which one has read and has been influenced by which are not confined to those paper-bound vessels of the printed word we refer to as books. Let's call these Non-Books. Or maybe Impossible Books. Or Limen Books? It's up to you. List five.
Item one:
The furrows in a field seen from a moving car.


This image has haunted me, liminally, from an early age. The feeling of being in the backseat, on an interminable car trip, and I have finished reading all my books (usually within the first hour of the journey). I am lulled by the rhythm of the car's jostle and hum, and I look out the window at the fields blurring past; the long brown and green lines whipping past us. If I squint and look sideways, the furrows slow down and seem to lope along beside me as we drive. It was my little secret game, me and the furrows. Squint.....now, wide eyes. Squuuiiiinntt. Wide eyes...... There are certain fields just over the county line in Monterey County, growing cole crops like broccoli, brussel sprouts or sometimes artichokes where I still play this game. There is something so iconic about this view, living on the central coast of California. It's so 'East of Eden' out here. There is also an over-arching feeling of solitude tinged with boredom and a faint melancholy that I have trouble defining.
Non-sequitor: The ancient Scots had a system of furrowing their fields that was called a 'runrig'. They were more like permanent bumps and hollows in the landscape and can still be seen in many old fields. Incidentally, Runrig is also the name of an 80's anthem-rock Scottish band. Sort of Big Country meets Queen at a Glasgow Rangers match.

3 comments:

chiefbiscuit said...

I've come over here from Camille - LOVE your blog! I know what you mean about the fields.
Fascinating about the synesthesia - what colour is that word? I had to learn how to spell it (just now) the hard way.

Rosa said...

Chief- we meet at last! I've been enjoying your comments on Camille's blog, and LOVING your rendition of this meme on your blog! Re: synesthesia, I'd say it's a dark, metallic blue colour. When I wiki'd it, there was synesthesia written in different colors, the way a synesthete might see it. I looked at it and thought, "Sort of." But the colors were all wrong! So it was a little hard to look at it.... I know. Cukoo! Cukoo!

Shannon Marie said...

I used to think that one day, I would be able to run faster than the man in the fields, or at least, the old truck I was in would drive faster than he could go.

Read Your Way Through the Garden: Choice Tomes From Garden Literature

  • A Book of Salvias by Betsy Clebsch
  • Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon
  • Making Bentwood Trellises by Jim Long
  • RHS Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers
  • Rose Primer: An Organic Approach to Rose Selection & Care by Orin Martin
  • Start With the Soil by Grace Gershuny
  • Sunset Western Garden Book
  • Sunset Western Landscaping Book
  • The Book of Garden Secrets by Patent & Bilderback
  • The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Botany
  • the Gardener's Table: A Guide to Natural Vegetable Growing and Cooking by Richard Merrill & Joe Ortiz
  • The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek
  • The Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant Names: Common & Botanical
  • We Made A Garden by Margaret Fish

lotsa latin: rosa's botanical & etymological ruminations

  • vespertinus: flowers in the evening
  • vernalis:spring
  • veni vidi nates calcalvi: we came, we saw, we kicked butt. This was printed on a T shirt I bought at Abbot's Thrift many years ago. It encircled the NEA symbol. I wish I knew why.
  • superciliaris: shaped like an eyebrow ex: sturnella superciliaris, the White-browed Blackbird
  • rosa-sinensis: species of Hibiscus: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Lit. Rosa of China, so named by British plant hunters.
  • placentiformis: shaped like a cake ex: discocactus placentiformis
  • nudiflorus: flowers before leaves show ex: flowering quince, magnolia
  • nivalis: growing in or near snow ex: galanthus nivalis (common snowdrop)
  • muralis: growing on walls
  • mirabilis: marvellous, wonderful
  • formosa: beautiful ex: dicentra formosa, a.k.a.western bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/lady in a bath
  • carpe vitam: get a life
  • Carolus Linnaeus: Latinized name of Carl von Linne (1707-1778), Swedish naturalist considered the father of plant taxonomy. Whatta guy.