7.18.2007

Pottering Around


I am totally succumbing to Harry Hysteria. I am not sure how I will get through the next 2 days until Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the last of the Harry Potter series, comes out on Friday. I'll be there, voucher in hand, at midnight, with all the other HP crazies, waiting in an extremely long line outside Bookshop Santa Cruz......sans velvet cape, though. I mean, I do have my dignity. But the HP world is all in an uproar, because somehow the book has been leaked early, and there is already a review by the New York Times! Bad form! I refuse to even look, it's somehow worse than reading the last page first of a mystery novel. I'm trying to contain myself, but here I am, blogging about it, and will even put up some links to fan sites that I have been trawling through. I know! Fan sites! I haven't geeked out this heavily since.......the last book came out. I mean, yesterday grandma Sue came and took away little G-I was left blissfully and astonishingly alone all day. I surveyed the piles of things to do: compost to spread, gladiolus to stake, cornus florida to transplant, and I turned my back on it all, choosing instead to curl up with tea and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the most recent in the series. And it was as great as I remembered, even more so, because I wasn't reading with that fever-pitched intensity that I get sometimes, racing and skipping and trying to see what's going to happen next. I cornered B when he came home and recounted all my theories: all about how R.A.B., whose note Harry finds in the fake locket cum Horcrux stands for Regulus Black, Sirius' younger brother who dies when he tries to leave the Death Eaters. B listened politely and then gently changed the subject, clearly worried about my sanity.........
Reunion!
The worst part is that Saturday afternoon is my 15 year high school reunion, and I don't know how I can sit through it with the new Harry Potter book at home, unread. I think I might have to stay up Friday night and read it all through. This will almost certainly guarantee a raging head ache and the slight inability to see absolutely straight. I'm not sure this is the best way to face my former high school peers, with the 'Harry Hangover', but it'll probably keep me from obsessive navel-gazing about what-have-I-done-with-my-life, blah-blah-blah.

No comments:

Read Your Way Through the Garden: Choice Tomes From Garden Literature

  • A Book of Salvias by Betsy Clebsch
  • Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon
  • Making Bentwood Trellises by Jim Long
  • RHS Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers
  • Rose Primer: An Organic Approach to Rose Selection & Care by Orin Martin
  • Start With the Soil by Grace Gershuny
  • Sunset Western Garden Book
  • Sunset Western Landscaping Book
  • The Book of Garden Secrets by Patent & Bilderback
  • The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Botany
  • the Gardener's Table: A Guide to Natural Vegetable Growing and Cooking by Richard Merrill & Joe Ortiz
  • The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek
  • The Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant Names: Common & Botanical
  • We Made A Garden by Margaret Fish

lotsa latin: rosa's botanical & etymological ruminations

  • vespertinus: flowers in the evening
  • vernalis:spring
  • veni vidi nates calcalvi: we came, we saw, we kicked butt. This was printed on a T shirt I bought at Abbot's Thrift many years ago. It encircled the NEA symbol. I wish I knew why.
  • superciliaris: shaped like an eyebrow ex: sturnella superciliaris, the White-browed Blackbird
  • rosa-sinensis: species of Hibiscus: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Lit. Rosa of China, so named by British plant hunters.
  • placentiformis: shaped like a cake ex: discocactus placentiformis
  • nudiflorus: flowers before leaves show ex: flowering quince, magnolia
  • nivalis: growing in or near snow ex: galanthus nivalis (common snowdrop)
  • muralis: growing on walls
  • mirabilis: marvellous, wonderful
  • formosa: beautiful ex: dicentra formosa, a.k.a.western bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/lady in a bath
  • carpe vitam: get a life
  • Carolus Linnaeus: Latinized name of Carl von Linne (1707-1778), Swedish naturalist considered the father of plant taxonomy. Whatta guy.