9.06.2007

Alone!

I knew my poor little introverted self was sorely suffering when, after getting in the pool with G & grandma yesterday, I swam out to the deep end and floated there on my back, all the while exulting silently, "I'm alone! Finally, ALONE!" So, G is staying not one, but TWO nights in Steinbecktown, and I am alone in a very quiet house.
My little G is fabulous, stupendous, and I love her fit to burst. She is also very very vocal (I mean she is a real gibber machine ). And at such a volume-her Papa plays with her sans hearing aids. She is all about gathering information right now, piecing her universe together, but while B has the patience to explain all manner of life to her, I weary of it.
But......Why?
"Why? Why?" is her sing song chant, all the live long day, and I feel like Bill Nye the Science Guy explaining why she can't play with the electrical cords ("because the ekeltricity will come and get you!") and why the ice melts all over mommy's bed when she leaves it there (grr!) But when I get to the end of all my patient explaining, usually there is still one last, "Oh. ..........Why?" that lets me know that although she sometimes has words beyond her tender years, she's without a lot of the reasoning that is required to fully absorb the answers to her many questions. I mean, she's still only two and a half.
Lately I've heard of friends who have really been struggling with the health of their daughter, and I know I have so so much to be thankful for, not the least that my little lovey can speak at all. What's the famous prayer? "God, give me the strength to endure my blessings?" So, I'm trying to take a lot of deep breaths, and to share the joy of life with our little Investigator (hence the trips to grandma's) and to remember that this too shall pass-probably much too soon.

3 comments:

Mum said...

I guess you wouldn't be open to doing what mothers have done since the begining of time and just answer "why" with "because mommy said so". Now you know I'm kidding but tell the truth, the temptation is there, isn't it? It was for me . The fact is that sometimes parents are tired or hungry or stressed or depleted and kids, no matter how loved and appreciated they are can make you go slightly around the bend. (although you never did, you were perfect, my darling) No getting around the fact that parenting is a challenge and you & B. have all the tools and you are doing a great job. Just keep going. God is with you!
XO-Mum

jessica said...

oh the patience required to be a parent! though i cannot wait to have children, i do worry about having to be all patient and all knowing. i have great respect for those who parent as you do (properly), and have the guts to admit that it isn't all a little marshmellow cloud of delight and comes with tediums and trials as well as the immense happiness.

Rosa said...

thanks! And actually,grandma ended up keeping her for THREE nights, which was a little long, even for me. B and I moped around the house a little bit, and still haven't stopped giving and receiving kissies. So it's pretty marshmallowy here right now.

Read Your Way Through the Garden: Choice Tomes From Garden Literature

  • A Book of Salvias by Betsy Clebsch
  • Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon
  • Making Bentwood Trellises by Jim Long
  • RHS Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers
  • Rose Primer: An Organic Approach to Rose Selection & Care by Orin Martin
  • Start With the Soil by Grace Gershuny
  • Sunset Western Garden Book
  • Sunset Western Landscaping Book
  • The Book of Garden Secrets by Patent & Bilderback
  • The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Botany
  • the Gardener's Table: A Guide to Natural Vegetable Growing and Cooking by Richard Merrill & Joe Ortiz
  • The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek
  • The Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant Names: Common & Botanical
  • We Made A Garden by Margaret Fish

lotsa latin: rosa's botanical & etymological ruminations

  • vespertinus: flowers in the evening
  • vernalis:spring
  • veni vidi nates calcalvi: we came, we saw, we kicked butt. This was printed on a T shirt I bought at Abbot's Thrift many years ago. It encircled the NEA symbol. I wish I knew why.
  • superciliaris: shaped like an eyebrow ex: sturnella superciliaris, the White-browed Blackbird
  • rosa-sinensis: species of Hibiscus: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Lit. Rosa of China, so named by British plant hunters.
  • placentiformis: shaped like a cake ex: discocactus placentiformis
  • nudiflorus: flowers before leaves show ex: flowering quince, magnolia
  • nivalis: growing in or near snow ex: galanthus nivalis (common snowdrop)
  • muralis: growing on walls
  • mirabilis: marvellous, wonderful
  • formosa: beautiful ex: dicentra formosa, a.k.a.western bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/lady in a bath
  • carpe vitam: get a life
  • Carolus Linnaeus: Latinized name of Carl von Linne (1707-1778), Swedish naturalist considered the father of plant taxonomy. Whatta guy.