12.10.2007

Lessons

I lost my phone last week. I left it at church Tuesday night after one of the play rehearsals. I was sure I left it either in the sanctuary or upstairs in one of the meeting rooms. I came back on Thursday afternoon, sauntering in, planning on picking it up at the front desk. I had every faith in the church bureaucracy, and assumed it had been picked up by someone obvious, like the custodian or secretary. But, no. I wandered into the sanctuary, slightly disconcerted, and started snooping under the pews. One of the pastors, Josh, was rehearsing a song with someone else, and they stopped and called my phone, trying to see if it was in the room; no. I stayed and listened to the song and gave my opinion (they asked! And the song was beautiful). So, I bumped around the church for a good part of an hour, just sort of looking around, and talking to Sarah, looking forlorn, and unreachable without my phone. I didn't think I'd get like that without it, it's only been a year or two that I've even had a cell phone. So I prayed-a little sheepishly. Sort of, "God? I'd really like to find my phone! I know it's sort of silly, and there's plenty of things that are more important that I should ask you for, like patience, humility and peace in Iraq, but I'd really like to find my phone!"

The strangest thing: I heard inside me this sort of assurance, and it was very specific and even blythe. I don't know how else to describe it, and it sounded like this: "Oh, don't worry about your phone! You'll see it again, and in a very unexpected place!"

"Right," I thought, "that is totally something I would make up if I was pretending to be God answering my prayer." I forgot about it, and went downtown. To the rain, and the shopping, and the missed coffee date with my mom, and the oneheadlightrainywindshielddanger!danger! driving, pollo asado burritos and Dorothy Sayers at Vallarta, and unwanted smiles from B's octegenarian international eco artist boss. An odd afternoon.

Later that night, B and I were at our community group. So, I was sitting there and Richard Rammer walks in, big smile on his face, hand outstretched towards me, and what does he profer? You guessed it, my phone. I was absolutely floored. It was just so......unexpected.
Of course he was at choir rehearsal the night before, and someone found it on the couch, and recognized the picture of G on the screen. And knew it was mine. And brought it right to me.

I think this shows me that: 1) God is listening to me, and doesn't wait for prayers that I would deem pious or worthy of attention 2) I can somehow hear His voice every now and again & 3) I expected to find my phone through bureacracy, and instead it came back to me through community. What a nice thing.
Just little life lessons in the mdst of seeming chaos. More on the seeming chaos later...........

3 comments:

Jonathan Assink said...

Some of my most encouraging interactions with God have come out "throw away" prayers I never expected an answer to. We can be cynical and say it's all coincidence or we can smile and be happy we have a God who loves us so much He takes care of even the seemingly mundane. Congrats on getting your phone back! :)

b said...

SEPTAgenarian eco artist boss...however unwanted!
b

rosa said...

thanks, Jonathan, it's good to remember that it's a relationship, not a class we're all trying to pass!

Read Your Way Through the Garden: Choice Tomes From Garden Literature

  • A Book of Salvias by Betsy Clebsch
  • Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon
  • Making Bentwood Trellises by Jim Long
  • RHS Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers
  • Rose Primer: An Organic Approach to Rose Selection & Care by Orin Martin
  • Start With the Soil by Grace Gershuny
  • Sunset Western Garden Book
  • Sunset Western Landscaping Book
  • The Book of Garden Secrets by Patent & Bilderback
  • The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Botany
  • the Gardener's Table: A Guide to Natural Vegetable Growing and Cooking by Richard Merrill & Joe Ortiz
  • The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek
  • The Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant Names: Common & Botanical
  • We Made A Garden by Margaret Fish

lotsa latin: rosa's botanical & etymological ruminations

  • vespertinus: flowers in the evening
  • vernalis:spring
  • veni vidi nates calcalvi: we came, we saw, we kicked butt. This was printed on a T shirt I bought at Abbot's Thrift many years ago. It encircled the NEA symbol. I wish I knew why.
  • superciliaris: shaped like an eyebrow ex: sturnella superciliaris, the White-browed Blackbird
  • rosa-sinensis: species of Hibiscus: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Lit. Rosa of China, so named by British plant hunters.
  • placentiformis: shaped like a cake ex: discocactus placentiformis
  • nudiflorus: flowers before leaves show ex: flowering quince, magnolia
  • nivalis: growing in or near snow ex: galanthus nivalis (common snowdrop)
  • muralis: growing on walls
  • mirabilis: marvellous, wonderful
  • formosa: beautiful ex: dicentra formosa, a.k.a.western bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/lady in a bath
  • carpe vitam: get a life
  • Carolus Linnaeus: Latinized name of Carl von Linne (1707-1778), Swedish naturalist considered the father of plant taxonomy. Whatta guy.