2.09.2008

Flotsam & Jetsam

The Other
I'm just back from a night out with The Other, as she likes to call herself (we share the same name). One of The Other's hobbies is Mystery Shopping, mainly to visit swanky restaurants and treat her freeloading friends (me) to a good meal. Tonight it was an upscale mexican restaurant in the southern end of the county. It's all there in my report- the satisfying little gurgle that vegetarian fajitas and dark beer make in the belly, the obnoxious bar atmosphere, complete with staggering baseball-capped guys and the ubiquitous Young Thing pressing an unresisting head into her tanned and slightly-clad bosom.
So The Other is unstoppable and together we plan to take over the world, but she is so very different than me: in the car after dinner, she sat for a little bit filling out paperwork. I happily settled into MacDonald's Lilith (yes, I re-read the same 20 books over and over); and she glanced over and said,"You 'reader' types! Whatever! I just don't understand the appeal!" As if I were a Civil War buff or a mushroom hunter or some other obscure enthusiast. I just read. You know, books? Those things that have sustained civilization since, well, history was first recorded- in books? Apparently, we are two halves of a brain, I read & make insight into the world around us, she figures out the tip and the time it took Server A to take our order and refill our drinks. (And lots more technical things that I don't even know the name of, mainly in the world of finance-home loans and interest (um) thingies.)
Ephemera
The temps were in the 70's today, so I did a little jig and then got to work in the garden, transplanting hydrangeas hither and yon, pruning salvias and leonotis, and preparing the ground for a new hosta bed. Buckets of compost on everything, and the coldframe is getting seriously overhauled. I love this time of year more than I can express-it is the hope and the new life, burgeoning shoots intersected by shafts of pale light. There is the Lewisian joy found in the ephemera of spring, that kind of joy that is tinged with sadness, because it points to a longing that cannot be fulfilled outside of heaven. Lewis called it 'The Island' in his 'Pilgrim's Regress'. (And yes, I'll probably be re-reading that one soon as well. I need some new authors, clearly.)
Poetry
I wrote a new poem for the latest Coffee Read at Vintage. It's due out soon and I'll post a review here with some of my favorite pieces. I haven't written any poetry I've liked for quite a long time (I think the last time was for Graceland's art show, 'Frames', back in dickety 2....); so I was totally gratified to be able to submit something that I like enough to sign my name to.
A List: Words That Make Me Happy Right Now
Ephemera
Obfuscate
Trundle
Grindylow
Rimpley (G's word to describe how it felt to hold a sea star.)

1 comment:

the other said...

It is such a good thing that God made all types, even those who like to read :-) I am so lucky to have a great opposite and amazing other. Your passions are so beautiful and you enrich many lives.

Read Your Way Through the Garden: Choice Tomes From Garden Literature

  • A Book of Salvias by Betsy Clebsch
  • Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon
  • Making Bentwood Trellises by Jim Long
  • RHS Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers
  • Rose Primer: An Organic Approach to Rose Selection & Care by Orin Martin
  • Start With the Soil by Grace Gershuny
  • Sunset Western Garden Book
  • Sunset Western Landscaping Book
  • The Book of Garden Secrets by Patent & Bilderback
  • The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Botany
  • the Gardener's Table: A Guide to Natural Vegetable Growing and Cooking by Richard Merrill & Joe Ortiz
  • The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek
  • The Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant Names: Common & Botanical
  • We Made A Garden by Margaret Fish

lotsa latin: rosa's botanical & etymological ruminations

  • vespertinus: flowers in the evening
  • vernalis:spring
  • veni vidi nates calcalvi: we came, we saw, we kicked butt. This was printed on a T shirt I bought at Abbot's Thrift many years ago. It encircled the NEA symbol. I wish I knew why.
  • superciliaris: shaped like an eyebrow ex: sturnella superciliaris, the White-browed Blackbird
  • rosa-sinensis: species of Hibiscus: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Lit. Rosa of China, so named by British plant hunters.
  • placentiformis: shaped like a cake ex: discocactus placentiformis
  • nudiflorus: flowers before leaves show ex: flowering quince, magnolia
  • nivalis: growing in or near snow ex: galanthus nivalis (common snowdrop)
  • muralis: growing on walls
  • mirabilis: marvellous, wonderful
  • formosa: beautiful ex: dicentra formosa, a.k.a.western bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/lady in a bath
  • carpe vitam: get a life
  • Carolus Linnaeus: Latinized name of Carl von Linne (1707-1778), Swedish naturalist considered the father of plant taxonomy. Whatta guy.