5.08.2008

Redwood Loop


I was granted a boon today-G got to stay at the preschool without me. The road took me down into Henry Cowell State Park, a very leafy and overcast sort of run. Nice. I had to run through Roaring Camp, a narrow-gauge railroad that still navigates the tracks that loggers used while clear-cutting our neighborhood back in the turn of the century. I was startled by a blast of steam as I sprinted past, reminiscent of Miyazaki's 'Steamboy', and the bizarre steam-powered Victorian house that B saw this weekend at Makerfaire. Steam, the next sustainable fuel source?

One Mind

I was listening to a podcast from Mars Hill Bible Church. Rob Bell was talking about Philippians 2:1-

"If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose."

Up With Everyone
I set out to blog about Shane Claiborne's book Irresistible Revolution and how parts of it do not seem to be very 'up with people' as the Elevens would say-at times it comes across a little piously crunchy, a sentiment with which I am all too familiar, having learnt it at my hometown's knee. (Santa Cruz is nothing if not pious!) There are undercurrents that do not feel like what Paul is exhorting the church to foster, like having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. I think Claiborne is trying to get people to wake up and pay attention to the chasm that can exist between the Jesus of the Gospels: homeless, loving the dregs of society, going about with prostitutes and swindlers; and the Jesus of some parts of Christianity: urbane, middle-aged, and highly moral. However, some of the points in it seem preachy and unloving. (Especially some of the quotes in the introduction. Jim Wallis, for shame! You can do better than that!)
I wanted to write all this, about we have to up with everyone, even the evangelical/conservative/right-winged/middle-class Christians; (from his book, it looked like this was the group that his finger wagged at the most.) Our love must extend to everyone, or it can't extend to us. Even if we don't agree with how people live.
So this is how the post was shaping up in my mind.
I was beginning to feel rather pious myself, getting my finger out, ready to wag.

And then it happened. On the path overlooking the blooming Douglas iris and redwood sorrel, Rob Bell mentioned how we live in a highly individualized society, one that doesn't understand how much we need to be of the 'same love, being one in spirit and purpose'. I realized then, just as clearly as if it had been written in the redwood needles on the ground before me, that I value this too, more than I had thought. I inwardly struggle against the bonds of motherhood because I want it to be 'Me first', all about my life and my dreams and desires. I didn't know what I was getting myself into, and who really does know what it will cost them? I wouldn't go back, not for anything, (I can't anyway), and so I prayed as I ran, muttering and gasping for breath. I have little hope for fostering peace and the love of God with my enemies if I can't have it at home. And so it always happens, I point a finger, and 3 point back at me, or whatever that expression is, (but that only adds up to 4...) Anyway. Do you know what I mean?

5 comments:

joann said...

you are so lovely...you and your redwood sorrel...

(amen on the everyone!)

Esther Montgomery said...

Two things:-

Last week, the Queen (of England)went and took a ride on a land train (incognito).

The only concession to her Queenliness seemed to be that she sat next to the driver.

There was a photo in the paper - she was simply radiating delight and happiness. A sort of impishness.

The other thing - I may be misunderstanding but I'm not sure that being united, being comitted, being bound to each other - means we should be of one mind. A community dies if every member stodgily thinks the same thing. Too much agreement leads to oppression - (and depression!).

Esther

rosa said...

I knew this would happen! I was writing this late last night, with B standing over me saying "Come to bed-NOW!" So I decided to publish it. Even though it contained thoughts half expressed, and left out the point of what I was trying to say. I forgot that other people had a different time schedule (pronounced "sshhedule") and would read it! Oh well. Read it again, and see if it makes more sense.
I love the story about the Queen! Poor dear, she deserves a day out every now and then.

Anonymous said...

Go Rosa! Up with people begins at home! Really, I mean my actual home. After all, that's where the people I see most (and am most likely to wound) spend all their time.
Eleven

Camille said...

Hey Eleven!

When is the Up With People Manifesto coming out? My blog has been biding its time for a long time.

Hey Rosa!

Thanks for bringing it up!

Read Your Way Through the Garden: Choice Tomes From Garden Literature

  • A Book of Salvias by Betsy Clebsch
  • Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon
  • Making Bentwood Trellises by Jim Long
  • RHS Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers
  • Rose Primer: An Organic Approach to Rose Selection & Care by Orin Martin
  • Start With the Soil by Grace Gershuny
  • Sunset Western Garden Book
  • Sunset Western Landscaping Book
  • The Book of Garden Secrets by Patent & Bilderback
  • The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Botany
  • the Gardener's Table: A Guide to Natural Vegetable Growing and Cooking by Richard Merrill & Joe Ortiz
  • The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek
  • The Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant Names: Common & Botanical
  • We Made A Garden by Margaret Fish

lotsa latin: rosa's botanical & etymological ruminations

  • vespertinus: flowers in the evening
  • vernalis:spring
  • veni vidi nates calcalvi: we came, we saw, we kicked butt. This was printed on a T shirt I bought at Abbot's Thrift many years ago. It encircled the NEA symbol. I wish I knew why.
  • superciliaris: shaped like an eyebrow ex: sturnella superciliaris, the White-browed Blackbird
  • rosa-sinensis: species of Hibiscus: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Lit. Rosa of China, so named by British plant hunters.
  • placentiformis: shaped like a cake ex: discocactus placentiformis
  • nudiflorus: flowers before leaves show ex: flowering quince, magnolia
  • nivalis: growing in or near snow ex: galanthus nivalis (common snowdrop)
  • muralis: growing on walls
  • mirabilis: marvellous, wonderful
  • formosa: beautiful ex: dicentra formosa, a.k.a.western bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/lady in a bath
  • carpe vitam: get a life
  • Carolus Linnaeus: Latinized name of Carl von Linne (1707-1778), Swedish naturalist considered the father of plant taxonomy. Whatta guy.