5.24.2008

There's a lot happening right now, affecting lots of different spheres of my world, and it's hard to even sit down to process it all. When I first began this blog it was mostly because I felt out of touch with things that had made me, well, me. I, myself. I was inside a lot, doing odd things like playgroups and diaper services, and despairing of ever getting more than 4 hours of sleep in a row. In a sleep-deprived state strange words would surface, and suddenly I would find myself mumbling, "anthocyanins.....schlerenchyma......Berberis thunbergia atropurpurea 'Nana', which always sounded like an incantation from Bedknobs & Broomsticks. So I decided to start blogging in order to expel some of the flotsam & jetsam that was floating around in my head. Now, a year and a half later, I find myself busy, fingers in many pies, and I no longer require a place like rosa-sinensis to dump all my thoughts. I have discovered that I still like to write, something I used to derive much pleasure from, even if I lacked the discipline to actually sit down and do it.

Lately I've been trying to extricate myself from all the stuff I've been doing at church. I counted and it turns out I was doing NINE different things at Vintage. Nine! B & I had Extrication Week, and by the end of the week, we were down to 3. The library, our community group, and something new that we're wanting to do. Anyway. It's been busy. I think the ability to say 'No' is sadly undervalued, and I wish it was taught in schools. (Or church!)

And my public apology to Dave's Garden, I used a picture of theirs without asking, and they sent me a very polite yet official email asking me to take it down. And I did.

5 comments:

Esther Montgomery said...

By chance, I am reading blogs on my 'Reader' and yours has just popped up - new.

Life moves on - but if you do stop blogging, either for a bit or for ever - I would be really sad to lose contact.

Blogging or not blogging - please keep in touch!

Esther / Susan

rosa said...

Oh dear! I need to change it. That sounds like I'm all done blogging. I'm not! Don't worry, rosa-sinensis is not going away.

Esther Montgomery said...

Well, I'm not doing very well!

I misunderstood something you said the other day too!

Esther

rosa said...

I usually push 'publish' too soon.
Thanks for catching it!

sarah said...

I love your thoughts on Extrication week and the word "no". if there was a way to move a good portion of Christ followers out of a consumerist mentality into one of giving back as a vital part of the community, people like you who love and live the vision wouldn't have to say yes to so many things because everyone would be serving out of their giftedness. i understand because I am that yes person too...and yet, its so hard to find people who are willing to step up and take risks for the kingdom of God.

ok, that's the end of my rant. :)

Read Your Way Through the Garden: Choice Tomes From Garden Literature

  • A Book of Salvias by Betsy Clebsch
  • Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon
  • Making Bentwood Trellises by Jim Long
  • RHS Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers
  • Rose Primer: An Organic Approach to Rose Selection & Care by Orin Martin
  • Start With the Soil by Grace Gershuny
  • Sunset Western Garden Book
  • Sunset Western Landscaping Book
  • The Book of Garden Secrets by Patent & Bilderback
  • The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Botany
  • the Gardener's Table: A Guide to Natural Vegetable Growing and Cooking by Richard Merrill & Joe Ortiz
  • The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek
  • The Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant Names: Common & Botanical
  • We Made A Garden by Margaret Fish

lotsa latin: rosa's botanical & etymological ruminations

  • vespertinus: flowers in the evening
  • vernalis:spring
  • veni vidi nates calcalvi: we came, we saw, we kicked butt. This was printed on a T shirt I bought at Abbot's Thrift many years ago. It encircled the NEA symbol. I wish I knew why.
  • superciliaris: shaped like an eyebrow ex: sturnella superciliaris, the White-browed Blackbird
  • rosa-sinensis: species of Hibiscus: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Lit. Rosa of China, so named by British plant hunters.
  • placentiformis: shaped like a cake ex: discocactus placentiformis
  • nudiflorus: flowers before leaves show ex: flowering quince, magnolia
  • nivalis: growing in or near snow ex: galanthus nivalis (common snowdrop)
  • muralis: growing on walls
  • mirabilis: marvellous, wonderful
  • formosa: beautiful ex: dicentra formosa, a.k.a.western bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/lady in a bath
  • carpe vitam: get a life
  • Carolus Linnaeus: Latinized name of Carl von Linne (1707-1778), Swedish naturalist considered the father of plant taxonomy. Whatta guy.