3.10.2009

"Oh, Honey, Could You......."

Man, I am like a big ole hen these days, nesting away. I want to turn the whole house upside down, paint this wall, recover that chair. Poor B comes home to a litany of things to lift and move here, no, over here. It 's comic. I can't seem to get around the side of the big dodge ball-type thing on the front of me, so Ive been enlisting the aid of my long-suffering family to help. Little G is low to the ground, so she comes along behind me and picks up everything I drop. B is my go-to guy for everything else, and it includes quite a lot. I don't quite need the jaws of life to extract me from the couch yet, but he's been there to strong-arm me into an upright position many times.
Tonight it was the dishes. Somehow the sink faucet handles have gotten farther and farther away, and I now have to stand on my tippy toes to get my belly above the edge of the sink in order to turn on the water. (A step stool is too high, and makes my back hurt. Yes, I've tried everything.)
I have just about 2 months to go, and I'm wondering how I'm going to get through this last bit of time, especially considering the planting season that is gearing up, coupled with the nesting instinct and spring cleaning. And it's just hopeless in the garden. I don't remember when I last lifted things with ease, or when the ground didn't seem so far away. I had B & G digging holes and watering plants this weekend, and I just decided that most of the plants in a major section of the garden need to be moved. Guess who I'll be calling.
The Abbey Garden Update
The Abbey Garden is a go, hurray hurray and thank You, Jesus. We've got the proper permits from the county, and the design pretty much nailed down, as well as a budget that doesn't depend on the discount plant section at the local nursery. (Although, being a thrift maven, and Scottish to boot, I shop there on principle.) Things should be moving by the end of the month. Our work days will include a lot of 'point-and-plant', and I hope I can impart clearly what needs doing, which can be hard, because it mean using lots of nouns, things I tend to lose quite easily. "Okay, now put that thing in the other thing, over there, next to the....you know, the...thing!" I hope I can restrain myself; otherwise it will be me in there, trying to heft things I shouldn't, and little H.O. will be coming 2 months early. "And his mother wrapped him in swaddling cloths and placed him in a planter box." No, no, bad idea. I'll stick to directing.

4 comments:

Blessed said...

Oh, I thought I was the only one who lost words while pregnant! (and for some months after.) In fact, when I was writing for my own blog the other day, I was astounded at the variety of words that were jumping to my mental tongue--I even had to look some of them up to make sure they meant what I thought they meant. Concede. Wheedle. Radial. Not that these are particularly impressive words, but they are not part of my usual vocabulary. And they were just right for the meaning I was trying to convey, and that is the real triumph--that my brain was functioning on a positively intuitive level.

So, it shall return for you too! : )

rosa said...

You know, I've been steadily losing nouns for quite some time. 10 years ago, after we got married, I lost the work, 'dresser'; and we blamed it on the wedding-I had been using up space in my brain for words I never needed before like 'wedding coordinator', 'corsage', and 'chair rental.' I think as well, since B moved into my house after we wed, that I spent alot of time explaining where everything went. "In the cupboard, second shelf on the right" became "Up there, on top of the thing."

I felt infinitely better after I read the part in 'That Hideous Strength' when Lewis describes this very phenomenon through his character MacPhee, speaking of the difference between the way men and women work together.

I got 'dresser' back not too
long ago, and I am grateful. I would tell you the words with which I currently strugge, but that's way too hard right now!

Mum said...

What I wonder is, why can't I ever remember Van Morrison's name? I had to google "Moondance" in order to even write this post. What is that about? Hes' even from Northern Ireland, for pitysake! It seems to be mental block.
Oh well, as long as I can still find my keys and leave the house fully clothed I'm not going to worry about it.

rosa said...

Yup, I'd definitely start worrying if you ever find yourself starkers on Corte Cabrillo. You can come and live with us, then.

Read Your Way Through the Garden: Choice Tomes From Garden Literature

  • A Book of Salvias by Betsy Clebsch
  • Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon
  • Making Bentwood Trellises by Jim Long
  • RHS Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers
  • Rose Primer: An Organic Approach to Rose Selection & Care by Orin Martin
  • Start With the Soil by Grace Gershuny
  • Sunset Western Garden Book
  • Sunset Western Landscaping Book
  • The Book of Garden Secrets by Patent & Bilderback
  • The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Botany
  • the Gardener's Table: A Guide to Natural Vegetable Growing and Cooking by Richard Merrill & Joe Ortiz
  • The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek
  • The Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant Names: Common & Botanical
  • We Made A Garden by Margaret Fish

lotsa latin: rosa's botanical & etymological ruminations

  • vespertinus: flowers in the evening
  • vernalis:spring
  • veni vidi nates calcalvi: we came, we saw, we kicked butt. This was printed on a T shirt I bought at Abbot's Thrift many years ago. It encircled the NEA symbol. I wish I knew why.
  • superciliaris: shaped like an eyebrow ex: sturnella superciliaris, the White-browed Blackbird
  • rosa-sinensis: species of Hibiscus: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Lit. Rosa of China, so named by British plant hunters.
  • placentiformis: shaped like a cake ex: discocactus placentiformis
  • nudiflorus: flowers before leaves show ex: flowering quince, magnolia
  • nivalis: growing in or near snow ex: galanthus nivalis (common snowdrop)
  • muralis: growing on walls
  • mirabilis: marvellous, wonderful
  • formosa: beautiful ex: dicentra formosa, a.k.a.western bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/lady in a bath
  • carpe vitam: get a life
  • Carolus Linnaeus: Latinized name of Carl von Linne (1707-1778), Swedish naturalist considered the father of plant taxonomy. Whatta guy.