1.03.2011

I'd Like To Thank All The Little Doggies Who Helped Get Me Where I Am Today.....

Today I got an email from a company that let me know that my blog was receiving an award. It's so nice to be acknowledged!!!! Especially from a company that sells........accessories for dogs.Wait a minute-is my blog so canine-centric that the dog accessories people have finally sat up and taken notice? Finally!! ((Sniff!!)) 
Doggone It!
But hold on-now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I posted about dogs. I don't own a dog, I don't intend to own a dog. Let's do a search on the ole browser......hmmmm.
Dogwood, Dog Rose, Dog Days, Farm Dogs, Dogged My Steps.......
Well, it seems that about once a year since 2007 I've let slip the word 'dog' here at rosa-sinensis, and apparently that is enough to get you an award from this website. Upon closer examination, of course, this is an ad. The email from 'Shiela' (sic) has about 5 obvious typos, and the name of the company itself, 'Accessories for Dog' seems to say it all.
As I'm told in the rousing post script- (and I quote): "If You Have More Quality Blog We Can Feature Those."



 ((Sigh)) 

4 comments:

Blessed said...

ah, ha ha!

verification: catdala
oh, let's not even get into those accessories!

Esther Montgomery said...

What if they offered to give you a dog instead of an award?

Esther

Mum said...

I know an award from your mother is pretty much meaningless, nevertheless since yours is the only blog I read on a regular basis, this "Bloggie" is for you!

rosa said...

In theory I would take the dog, Esther, because it goes along so well with the ridiculous nature of this ad. What a tangled web we weave! And strange marketing campaigns to boot! Ads directed towards the blogging community, via a pretend awards page on their website. It seems pretty involved- but not involved enough to employ someone to edit their content. They failed at the onset!
And mom, thanks for the props! I'm not fishing for anything here-I am after all only a part-time blogger these days. But thanks for the Bloggie!
Blessed, I love your cyber laughter second only to the real thing! (I've been missing the real thing!)

Read Your Way Through the Garden: Choice Tomes From Garden Literature

  • A Book of Salvias by Betsy Clebsch
  • Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon
  • Making Bentwood Trellises by Jim Long
  • RHS Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers
  • Rose Primer: An Organic Approach to Rose Selection & Care by Orin Martin
  • Start With the Soil by Grace Gershuny
  • Sunset Western Garden Book
  • Sunset Western Landscaping Book
  • The Book of Garden Secrets by Patent & Bilderback
  • The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Botany
  • the Gardener's Table: A Guide to Natural Vegetable Growing and Cooking by Richard Merrill & Joe Ortiz
  • The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek
  • The Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant Names: Common & Botanical
  • We Made A Garden by Margaret Fish

lotsa latin: rosa's botanical & etymological ruminations

  • vespertinus: flowers in the evening
  • vernalis:spring
  • veni vidi nates calcalvi: we came, we saw, we kicked butt. This was printed on a T shirt I bought at Abbot's Thrift many years ago. It encircled the NEA symbol. I wish I knew why.
  • superciliaris: shaped like an eyebrow ex: sturnella superciliaris, the White-browed Blackbird
  • rosa-sinensis: species of Hibiscus: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Lit. Rosa of China, so named by British plant hunters.
  • placentiformis: shaped like a cake ex: discocactus placentiformis
  • nudiflorus: flowers before leaves show ex: flowering quince, magnolia
  • nivalis: growing in or near snow ex: galanthus nivalis (common snowdrop)
  • muralis: growing on walls
  • mirabilis: marvellous, wonderful
  • formosa: beautiful ex: dicentra formosa, a.k.a.western bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/lady in a bath
  • carpe vitam: get a life
  • Carolus Linnaeus: Latinized name of Carl von Linne (1707-1778), Swedish naturalist considered the father of plant taxonomy. Whatta guy.